Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Watermelon Wheat

THE PLAN
I've had 2 watermelon wheats in the past and I've enjoyed both.  I'm not sure what triggered my recent interest in brewing one, but whatever... it's gonna happen. 

THE RECIPE
Batch #33
Following a simple American Wheat recipe from Jamil
6# Pale Malt
6# Flaked Wheat
1 oz Hallertauer (60)
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
3# Watermelon (seedless, diced, and pureed to about 1 gallon)

6/3 BREWDAY (2nd summer hours Friday)
This should be a fairly easy batch.  Single infusion batch sparge.  Target is 152 for 60 minutes.
13.75 qts @ 166 (in cooler) -> 154, added an ice cube, temp down to 151/152
Mashout w/ 9 qts @ 200 -> 163/164
Collected 4.3 gal, Brix (will add)
Sparged w/ 12 qts
6.5 gallons total collected, pre-boil brix:
We decided to hit up Jazzfest, so I got it boiling and then shut it off and wrapped in blankets.

6/4 Got up and checked the temp around 8:30, still up around 143, not bad for 14 hours.  Got it on the burner and got it boiling fairly quickly. 
Chilled to what I thought was around 64/65, but after getting it intot he carboy it was close to 70.  I thought I'd seal it up and see if it would drop since the ambient temp that day was like 63.  Well... it only did by a few degrees, and that was after 12+ hours...

6/5 8:30AM - temp still up around 68, but decided to get this thing pitched anyways.  A little nervous that I brewed this Friday, boiled Saturday, and now I'm pitching on Sunday.  I hope that doesn't screw it up.  I've been careful with keeping it sealed, so I would think it would be safe.

6/7 Fermentation appears to have finished... settled at about 66F in the basement, bubble every 7 seconds.  Will still let this go until Friday, then I'll transfer to 2nd on top of the watermelon.

6/11 RACKED TO SECONDARY
Hacked up 2 seedless watermelons, pureed them, and put 1 gallon of the puree into my fermentation bucket.  Racked the beer on top.  Gravity is at 1.015.

6/18?  KEGGED
Kegged this bad boy today, I tried to filter things out by running the siphon tube into a sanitized grain bag.  Worked ok, I figure whatever sediment is left will settle at the bottom.

6/19 - First tasting
A little flat yet, but it has only been a day.  Great flavor, cloudy, great aroma. Can't wait for this to be completely carbed.

6/25 - More Tasting
This is a good one, and a quick one.  Will have to brew again!

No comments:

Post a Comment