Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Hoppy Father

Tried finding a hoppy monk picture,
but this was more interesting, and fitting.
THE PLAN
I brewed a Patersbier earlier this year, which turned out great, but as I was drinking it, it dawned on me that this would be a fantastic base beer for a Belgian IPA.  So, here we are, and I'm ready to do it.  As luck would have it, my parents were visiting us, so I thought this would be an appropriate beer to brew with my dad, seeing that it's close to Father's day and he is my dad... even though it's a different kind of father we're talking about here.

THE RECIPE
Batch #34
9# Belgian Pils
1.5 oz Citra (60)
.5 oz Citra (5)
1 or 2 oz Citra (dry)
Wyeast 1214

6/10 BREWDAY (3rd summer hours batch)
Actually ended up brewing this with my mom... my dad was off doing business stuff.  
Single infusion mash, batch sparge
11.25 qts @ 162F, target = 147F
After dough in, 147F (146-149) for 75 minutes
After 45 minutes, temp down to 143F, added 1 gallons of ~ 180F and got temp back up to 147F
After 2 hours (had to leave), temp down to 135.  Added 9 qts boiling water, hit mashout of 164F.
Collected 4.5 gallons, Brix 12/1.0
Boiled, added hops, chilled to 66 and pitched yeast starter.
Hydrometer: 1.060, maybe 1.058
Refractometer: 13.8 = 1.056
Gave it a taste (from hyrodrometer),  really really bitter, almost a little too bitter for the balance. 

6/12 FERMENTATION CHECK-IN
Things are better than yesterday.  Last night the temp was about 68, and there really wasn't much going on but a thin krausen.  I stirred it up a bit.  This morning there was some activity, temp about the same.  I decided to move it up to the kitchen.  Over the coarse of the day, it has risen to close to 74 (as of 10:30pm).  I wish I kept notes of the last fermentation, I vaguely remember it hitting upper 70's.  I probably won't let it go that high, but we'll see.

6/13 FERMENTATION CHECK-IN
Temp as of 8am was 76.  As of 1pm, bubbling has slowed, krausen has dropped, and temp is now 74.  As of 5:30pm, bubbling has pretty much stopped and temp is down to 72.

6/15 FERMENTATION CHECK-IN
Gravity down to 1.012, gonna rack to 2nd and add dry hops.  Taste is still pretty bitter.  Hardly any of the Belgian flare coming through. 

7/4 KEGGING
Racked to keg, filtered with coffee screen, gravity @ 1.010
Still really bitter, and now a citra aroma bomb as well.  Damn...

7/5 TASTING
It's only been in the keg for a day or so... but already my suspicions have been upheld... lots of hops, not much Belgian.  :-\  Oh well... lesson learned.  Next one will rock.  And it may get better if I gave it a little time to let the aroma hops die out a tad.  But, I'll just enjoy this one for what it is.

2 comments: