Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lewis Creek Brownie

I've been bitten by the smoked malt bug.  Over the last couple of months I've sampled a few really really nice beers that were lightly smoked.  Too much smoke is a terrible thing in my opinion.  I hate smoked beers that taste like smoked salmon, which is ironic because I named this beer after a brown trout, go figure.  Anyways, beers that are lightly smoked can have a pleasant campfire aroma and flavor to them that is really nice.  So, I've had this idea to make a lightly smoked brown ale for the fall.  Getting a little bit of a late start, but whateva.

RECIPE
Batch #41
8# pale malt
1# Weyerman Beechwood smoked malt (mild smoke character)
1# Best Malts Smoked malt (strong smoke character)
1# Aromatic
1# Crystal 60L
1# Golden Naked Oats
1/4# Chocolate Malt
1/2 oz Willamette (first wort hops)
1/2 oz Columbus (60)
1 oz Willamette (0)
Safale s-04

10/26 - BREWNIGHT
Single infusion mash @ 153F, batch sparge.
60 minute boil
This was supposed to end up at 6 gallons, but got boiled down a little too far, so I ended up with 5.75 gallons, SG 1.060


11/1 - gravity @ 1.020, some sweet smoke in the aroma as well as some fruity esters; opaque, light brown; flavor consists of sweet malt & mild smoke, a little bitter as well. Going to stir it up, and move it upstairs to finish off. 

11/9 - 1.018, gonna rack to a keg.  Carbed a 1L bottled for sampling.  

11/14 - took the 1L bottle to the November Mashers meeting.  I. Am. In. Love.  Wow, I'm so happy with this one.  Back the fuck up if you don't like it.  It surely won't be to everyone's taste, but I nailed what I was shooting for.  Booya.  


No comments:

Post a Comment